Riga's school or the Helllenic Museum of Zagora.Riga's school or the Hellenic-Museum of Zagora as it is known was the first Greek school on Mountain Pelion during the Turkish Empire. Some of its most eminent students were Anthimos Yazis, Gregory Konstantas, Kallinikos Lapatis (Patriarch of Konstantopole) and the one of the greatest poets of the Greek Literature Rigas Feraios. The library of the school had about 18.000 ancient books. Nowadays it has 1.000 ancient books and 15.000 contemporary books which are available to the public. The library is now hosted in a modern building of the 20th century. While taking the books from the old school to the new Library an important amount of the ancient books was lost as the students who were carrying them threw them away without realizing the significance of those books. A one third of Riga's school is open during the summer months as a museum.
Zagora village was one of the few villages which remained unruly by the Turkish Empire. The 17th and the 18th century was for Zagora the peak of their civilization and commercial trade. The Zagorian people (the inhabitants of Zagora) developed a great industry of silk grow thing and also a clothing industry. In the meanwhile the marine trade was also developed and the famous merchant fleet was named after the "Great Zagorian Ships". The port of Chorefto coast was a very busy commercial port during that period. The village of Zagora was the hometown of some of the most eminent intellectual people during that period. The Patriarch Kallinikos III, the well-established historian Gianis Kordatos and the national benefactors Alexander Pados and Dimitrios Polymerios who inherited their fortune for the construction of the roads on Mt.Pelion.
Among the other sightseeing some of the hot-spots in Zagora Village are the traditionally constructed mansions that date back to the 17th and the 18th century. Some of them belong to the eminent families of Prigos and Kassavety families. One of the traditional mansion belonged to the Greek Poet Petros Magnis. The Christian Churches are also worthy paying a visit as one of them was built under the Byzantine style. The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios lies at one of the central squares in Zagora. Its temple, its episcopal and its pulpit are mainly constructed by wood and entirely decorated by gold. A unique masterpiece that shouldn't be missed out. The churces of Agia Paraskevi and Agia kyriaki were built by great builders who came from the West part of Greece, Epiros Greece during the 18th century. One of the natural beauties that Zagora village can offer to its visitors are the marble springs named after Despoti's, Kralli's , Sevastous' the "covered spring" and the Fairies' spring at the square of Agios Georgios. There is also a traditional folk dancing on the 8th of August dedicated to Saint Triadafillos who was believed to have lived on Mt.Pelion.
Zagora had always been the birthplace of Greek Literature and Poetry by the very early of the 18th century. The first school in Zagora was first held at chapel of Sotiros. As the lust for education and development was increasing constantly the need for a newer and bigger school became prominent. At the beginning of the 18th century between the 1702 and 1712 a new school was built to host more students and become one of the most eminent schools on Mt.Pelion during the Turkish Empire. The new school was renovated in 1777. The Patriarch Kallinikos and the wealthy trader Giannis Prigos who used to live in Egypt became the greatest founders of the new school which was established as one of the Greatest schools on Mt.Pelion named after "Hellenic Museum of Zagora".